The garage door cycles at least twice a day in most homes, but it is often one of the most neglected mechanisms of the house. Upkeep of garage door includes checking the many parts that make up the whole unit, and sometimes families are too busy for that. But that’s when problems such as errors, extreme whirring noises, and breakdowns could stem from.
When you are up-to-date on your garage door maintenance, it will last longer and become more reliable for years. Garage door problems that are arrested early on won’t become major, more costly regrets later!
Should I Really Spend on Garage Door Maintenance?
We all know the value of fully-functioning garage doors in our properties, but some may not appreciate how important garage door maintenance is. Here are our top reasons why you’d want to invest in regular garage door repair and upkeep:
- Prolong Garage Door Lifespan
By investing in regular garage door maintenance, you can avoid many serious and expensive problems down the road. Garage door repair is typically much more expensive than simply maintaining your garage door on a regular basis. Plus, by keeping up with maintenance you can be sure that your garage door will last for years to come.
Garage door maintenance helps you stay on track (literally!) and keep your garage door moving in a smooth, safe fashion. Especially for families with children and pets, having well working doors ensures there won’t be any nasty accidents.
For instance, if the cables are running too loose or thin already, or the spring has visible gaps in between the coils, these could be signs that you’re already due for a garage door maintenance check. Doing so in time will prevent injuries or damage to your property.
Your safety is also paramount, and by ensuring that your garage door is well-maintained you can be sure that it won’t pose any unnecessary risks. Garage doors are very heavy and can cause serious injuries if they’re not functioning properly.
It won’t seem like you’re saving money. After all, garage door maintenance isn’t free! But it’s paying it forward. By taking care of your garage doors, and taking advantage of discounts and deals from your local garage door repair company, you end up not having to replace major parts that often, and just keep your garage door working for years to come.
For businesses especially, it makes sense to keep garage doors in tip top shape, and deal with minor tuneups and maintenance issues straight away, rather than delay them and risk having to install new garage doors after a couple of years. That’s way costlier.
- Higher Property Value
Finally, maintaining your garage door is a great way to keep your home’s or business’ value high. If you’re ever looking to sell your home, potential buyers will be impressed by a well-maintained garage door and it may even help you get a higher price for your home.
Garage Door Maintenance Tips
You don’t need to be a garage door expert to carry out some basic garage door maintenance tasks like lubrication, cleanup, and keeping batteries and wiring in check. Let’s discuss garage door maintenance tips for residential garage doors:
- Check the hardware. Over time, nuts and bolts can come loose. Moving parts will inevitably turn loose, as they vibrate and move constantly. This can create annoying noise, or even more precarious, could affect how the doors move up and close down. So, it’s important to tighten them up as needed with a wrench or socket set. Check the brackets and tracks as well, to make sure they are in the right position.
- Lubricate moving parts. This includes the chain (if your garage door opener has one), springs, rollers, pulleys, and bearings. Use a silicone-based lubricant, as it won’t attract dirt and dust like other types can. Apply lube on screws, hinges, and other visibly rusting portions of the doors. It will help ease the movement, prevent excess friction, and generally maintain the condition of your door.
- Inspect the tracks. Check the movement of the tracks by turning on the garage door for a cycle or two. Make sure they’re aligned and free of debris. You may need to use a level to get them perfectly straight. And if there are any dents or crimps, use a hammer and dolly to gently tap them out.
- Test the balance. When you’re checking the track alignment, you can also test the garage door’s evenness. If your garage door is opening and closing on its own, if it is wonky on one side when it’s closing, or if it seems too heavy or light, it could be off-balance. This is an easy fix: just adjust the tension springs until the door is level.
- Check the sensors. The garage door photo eye sensor enables the doors to move automatically with just a few clicks on the remote. But the sensors will also encounter problems if it has dirt buildup or it has electrical or signal issues. It’s best to check with a garage door repair professional about this if you notice that the sensors aren’t working properly.
- Check opener, remote pad and wall switch. Batteries may run out, or you may need to reset from time to time. Be sure to consult with the manual if you’re going to tinker with the garage door opener to make sure of wattage and battery specs.
- Clean everything! Use a soft cloth or brush to remove any dirt and grime from all surfaces, including the tracks, rollers, and hinges.
Call us for Garage Door Maintenance
If your garage door isn’t working properly, it can be a major inconvenience. Not being able to park in your garage or get your car out of the garage can throw off your whole day. Luckily, there are some easy things you can do to maintain your garage door and keep it working properly.
By following these simple tips, you can keep your garage door in good working order for years to come. And if you ever do need to call in a professional for repairs, simply call our garage door repair team. You’ll be assisted in any type of tuneup or urgent service. Contact us today to get started.